<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Re: Where are you now?

I wonder if the site could have its backend converted so that it'll work with a Discourse frontend. Those forums are beautiful.

Anyway, been thinking about the PSP a lot. Started porting one of my Arduboy games to it.
Attachments
20180430_224312_HDR.jpg
20180430_224312_HDR.jpg (6.3 MiB) Viewed 14074 times
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 pm

crait wrote:I wonder if the site could have its backend converted so that it'll work with a Discourse frontend. Those forums are beautiful.

Anyway, been thinking about the PSP a lot. Started porting one of my Arduboy games to it.

I need to up my programing skills. Looking at getting 5 or 6 rPi's for some kind of cluster tinker lab.

I read that as Discord at first and was confused, ha so this is my first time seeing a Discourse Forum I'm clearly out of the forum game. Looks really sleek. It would be nice to have a full brewology phpBB copy workable (I'm digging but not seeing it being easily possible.) Though I would be content and it would be nice to somehow have at least say the top 100 users profile information sent over even manually (Archived post count number, name, other meta type data.) The stuff we personally care about.

I wonder if it is possible to dig out a set number of news/blog/tutorial articles from the main page over to at least have something there if a refresh start were to happen. Just did a quick Alexa count for the site and we still do really good for overall retention (almost 3 minutes) and our score overall, off site linkage etc is still really good so people do like Monkey said, have a use and continue to come. Right now is a good time for change seeing as so many of the older users are currently following this thread + things like the Switch getting the PSP treatment of late. There's a potential for something.

However the overall value for new visitors would be insignificant regarding a refresh, for us it would again be the nostalgia. So then your back to just starting fresh. A lot of programmers probably don't mind the design currently but I'm sure our 13 year old personal selves would be freaking out.

Hoping the best for whatever comes.

For this message the author .Yunoko has received thanks:
crait
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Wed May 02, 2018 2:31 pm

.Yunoko wrote:I wonder if it is possible to dig out a set number of news/blog/tutorial articles from the main page over to at least have something there if a refresh start were to happen. Just did a quick Alexa count for the site and we still do really good for overall retention (almost 3 minutes) and our score overall, off site linkage etc is still really good so people do like Monkey said, have a use and continue to come. Right now is a good time for change seeing as so many of the older users are currently following this thread + things like the Switch getting the PSP treatment of late. There's a potential for something.

I definitely agree that, even if it has to be manually done, moving over the most established users and transferring the system over to something more modern would do a lot of justice for the site.

As for content, I think it's possible to have it paralleled to the forum as long as we funnel any potential posters over to the new forum. (It could be in another directory or it could be a static archive of some kind.)
<<

monkeymaximus

Brewery Owner
Brewery Owner

Thanks given: 50 times

Thanks received: 40 times

Post Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:05 pm

@crait / @.yunoko - If you guys want to, we totally can :) - https://meta.discourse.org/t/importing- ... pbb3/30810 . I have to do a server migration by November, so it's a good time to do this.

@crait - Hows the PSP port for Arduboy coming along?

@puncharger - awesome! How's it going? What kind of job are you aiming for?
[img]https://brewology.com/images/mm/monkeymaximus.jpg[/img]
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8907/monkeymaximus2ph.jpg

For this message the author monkeymaximus has received thanks:
.Yunoko
<<

Danopoly

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 4 times

Post Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:27 pm

Keeping the thread going! Nostalgia kicks back every few months. I'm thinking of getting a PSP Go just for it's emulation. Was on a 6+ hr plane ride and I barely used my iPad (movies put me to sleep) and was dying for a game console. Does anybody own a PSP or a Vita? I haven't owned one since I was active on this site. It's been a while!

For this message the author Danopoly has received thanks:
.Yunoko
Previous

Return to General Chat