brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Tue May 15, 2007 3:39 am

Modding with Wiifree/Wiiskas/Yaosm

Parts/stuff needed for basic install:
-PIC microcontroller: 12F629, 12F675 or 12F683 (If you have a non-free email service, you get get FREE "samples" from microchip.com
example of 12F629: Image
-30 awg wire or wire of your choice
-8 pin socket (for external mounts)

Ok, well, first I will tackle the actual installation of the chip. For these chips they use the same installation schematic as the Wiinja.

Just solder those points up with your favorite wire. The numbered pads refer to what pin on the chip they connect to. Use the indent on the chip as a guide. From there you can either do a direct solder of the chip and keep it internal, or do some kind of external mount. Since they are releasing code for these chips constantly, I externally mounted mine. This way I can easily remove the chip to reprogram it with the newest code.

ImageImage

The wire just comes through a gap in the USB area. The chip socket is mounted on a piece of board which is stuck on there with really strong double sided tape (some people drill holes in their Wii to mount the socket. I'm not down with that :lol: ) When using a socket, make sure you wire it up correctly. It also has the indent that the chip has to make pin identification easier.

Now, for programming the chip. You will need a PIC programmer. You can get one of ebay for relatively cheap. Me being impatient did not want to wait, and being cheap, I made my own. There are wiring schematics all over, but this one is the simplest I have found.

Parts list:
-9 pin RS-232 Female connector
-22k resistor (1/4 or 1/2 watt)
-10k resistor (1/4 or 1/2 watt)
-2.2k resistor (1/4 or 1/2 watt)
-USB cable (using this to power the programmer
-BS 170 transistor (there's a substitute for this, but I can't remember what it is. Just search for it)
-8 pin socket

*Warning*: Some people say you do not need the transistor. You will need it if you want to reprogram the chip! You can program a chip once without it, but will not be able to update.

I used that to wire mine up. Works like a charm... not pretty, but it works...

After you have made/bought a programmer, you have to program it. Since there's already a nice guide for it here at Wii Xposed, I won't go into details on that.

There you have it. Now you can go with 2 different codes. There is Wiiskas which is at beta 1c right now, but does NOT have D2B support, or Wiifree which supports all chipsets and is CONSTANTLY being updated (twice yesterday and again last night while I was sleeping). Personally I use Wiiskas at the moment. I have a D2A NTSC Wii, and it works perfect for me. It has the speedfix and plays all my backups no problem. Wiifree is still working some bugs out at the moment, but I will soon be switching to Wiifree 100% sometime soon because of the support for it.

Hope this helps.
<<

Chaos Theory

Thanks received: 0

Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:18 am

It won't work

I made this programmer but it won't work, i tried everything!
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: It won't work

Chaos Theory wrote:I made this programmer but it won't work, i tried everything!

All I can say is try again. The first one I made didn't work. You have to make sure all your connections are sold and nothing is shorting.
<<

Chaos Theory

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:39 am

tried again

I made a new one, checked everything a few times but it still won't work :(
So i bought a programmer from ebay, it was 4.95$ and it comes with a free 12F629 :D

-CT
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:26 pm

Re: tried again

Chaos Theory wrote:I made a new one, checked everything a few times but it still won't work :(
So i bought a programmer from ebay, it was 4.95$ and it comes with a free 12F629 :D

-CT

It's also possible you do not have the proper driver installed on your computer. If you click the link for the guide to programming, it will have a link for the proper driver needed to program. If you do in fact have the driver then I'm sorry to say, but the problem is with your programmer. I, as well as many other people have made programmers that work from this design. Anyway, good luck to you.
<<

Despized

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:06 am

CT where did you look for the premade programmer? I am not the greatest at solder.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:04 am

He said he had looked on ebay.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:41 pm

Great tut.

I am still doing research on my spare time but I read that there is a DVD update possibility. (Yaosm 3.0?)
Is a tut for this in the works? If so does the wiring change?

BTW if the programmer does not work then flip the transistor if you have the BS170. Good luck!
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

redley112

Post Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:11 am

Re: Modding with Wiifree/Wiiskas/Yaosm

if some one has the memory stick addaptor please help me by converting this file.

Return to Wii Help & Tutorials