Supashay91

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 1

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:47 pm

Folding@Home

With the PS3's Update to version 1.60

Sony, in collaboration with Stanford University have added a Folding@Home icon to the XMB! For those of you who don't know what folding@Home is, this a statement from the sony website:

Sony wrote:You can now download and use the Folding@home™ program. Folding@home™ is a distributed computing project that is run by Stanford University. The goal of the project is to research protein folding mechanisms in the hope that this will lead to medical treatments for related diseases. Using the Folding@home™ program, you can participate in this project over the Internet. Note that the program must first be downloaded and installed on your PS3™

And here is a stement from the Folding@Home Website:

Folding@Home wrote:What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.

Folding@Home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems thousands to millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

I have taken the liberty of starting the PS3Brew Team for Folding@Home!

It's simple! Simply download the 50mb application to your PS3's Hard Drive, run it, apply yourself an identity, and join our team!

Our team entry code is 63413

This will push towards major medical advances. I urge you to join for a better tomorrow!
PS3 Friend Name:Supashay91
Passion,Joy,Sorrow,Pain and tears.
They will all be pabulum of your life.
<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:17 pm

I hate reviving dead topics as much as everyone else but I think this deserves a bump. I would have started a new topic but since Supashay already assigned PS3Brew a team I decided to just add to this thread.

I will join the PS3Brew Folding team tonight and ask that all of you consider doing this as well.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Oh thats neat, I didn't even know about that. If I had a PS3 I'd do it, but you can download it elsewhere I'm guessing.
<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:19 am

Yeah you can also fold on your PC. Just remember to use the PS3Brew group id.

Return to PlayStation 3