<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:14 pm

PS3 really worth the expense?

Ok, so I've been contemplating getting a PS3. I decided to get it over an xbox 360 for 2 major reasons. 1. PS3 is region free for games, and 2. Japan and the US are in the same region for Bluray movies (I live in Japan right now).

I've been wanting to jump on the next-gen console gaming bandwagon for quite a while now. The only problem is I'm not really a hard core gamer. I've never made it through an entire Final Fantasy game. Heck, there are very few games I've actually finished.

So really what I wanna hear is what are your overall impressions of the ps3? Is it worth the expense? Has anyone tried networking to stream media? Anyone tested psp-ps3 linking functions? Is there anything outside of gaming that can be done with it (i.e. dumping blurays with linux)?
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 19 times

Thanks received: 8 times

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:58 am

uh-psp-ps3 is perfect-everything you download automatically goes where it needs to-and i suggest a used backwards compatible. its like the nice ones, but your not wasting 40gb or 60gb or 80gb or more. get a used 20 gb and you`ll never worry.
Billy Mays is STILL my Hero.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:57 pm

I don't have any ps2 games with me in Japan, and the ones I do have in the US I never play... so backwards compatibility means nothing for me. I would rather have a nice new system, especially when you can't buy a used system for a price cheap enough to make up for it not being nice, shiny, and fresh out of the box.

As far as downloading content, how much of it is free? I have no interest in paying for anything to download...
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:10 pm

Right now the new PS3 out is the 80 GB, it comes with a DualShock 3 controller and isn't Backwards Compatible. - $400

There is also a limited edition PS3 that is 160 GB and it comes with Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - It's a fun little adventure game, your plane crashes in the jungle and you are being attacked by some treasure hunters I guess and you have guns. I've only played the demo a little bit, but its a good game. - $500

I haven't done any hacking or modding at all, other than running a NES emulator. It works pretty good, its just a little slow and doesn't have any audio. There should be an update soon, that last version came out several months ago.

I have tried to stream media before, but theres something with my router or computer firewall that won't let my PS3 connect to my PC. I gotta try it again sometime to try to get it to work. It's suppose to be fairly easy to use but I haven't got it up yet.

The PSP-PS3 functions are nice, you can use remoteplay to put the PS3 screen on your PSP and play videos or downloadable games that are compatible. You can connect to your PS3 with your PSP from anywhere in the world I guess, as long as you have an internet connection. Say you are at school or something, you can use your PSP to turn on your PS3 and watch the videos or listen to the music that is on your PS3. It would be awesome if they can update this more with a future PSP so you can play some PS3 games on your PSP! The new PSP would of coarse have all the controls.. hopefully.

There is a lot of free content, demos, trailers, wallpapers, w/e. You can rent or buy movies/tv shows on the Playstation Network as well. It costs I think $4 to rent a movie and $15 to buy one and download it to your system. Tv Shows are like $7 a season or something? I have no idea, but it was fairly cheap.

There are pretty good games out but since you're not too much of a hardcore gamer I can suggest..

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Awesome story.
Resistance: Fall of Man - Fun to play splitscreen.
LittleBigPlanet is suppose to be a tite game, but Idk.
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - Really fun strategic game, you definitely should look this one up.

Those are just a few you might like.
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:44 pm

AdventWolf wrote:Right now the new PS3 out is the 80 GB, it comes with a DualShock 3 controller and isn't Backwards Compatible. - $400

There is also a limited edition PS3 that is 160 GB and it comes with Uncharted: Drakes Fortune - It's a fun little adventure game, your plane crashes in the jungle and you are being attacked by some treasure hunters I guess and you have guns. I've only played the demo a little bit, but its a good game. - $500

I haven't done any hacking or modding at all, other than running a NES emulator. It works pretty good, its just a little slow and doesn't have any audio. There should be an update soon, that last version came out several months ago.

I have tried to stream media before, but theres something with my router or computer firewall that won't let my PS3 connect to my PC. I gotta try it again sometime to try to get it to work. It's suppose to be fairly easy to use but I haven't got it up yet.

The PSP-PS3 functions are nice, you can use remoteplay to put the PS3 screen on your PSP and play videos or downloadable games that are compatible. You can connect to your PS3 with your PSP from anywhere in the world I guess, as long as you have an internet connection. Say you are at school or something, you can use your PSP to turn on your PS3 and watch the videos or listen to the music that is on your PS3. It would be awesome if they can update this more with a future PSP so you can play some PS3 games on your PSP! The new PSP would of coarse have all the controls.. hopefully.

There is a lot of free content, demos, trailers, wallpapers, w/e. You can rent or buy movies/tv shows on the Playstation Network as well. It costs I think $4 to rent a movie and $15 to buy one and download it to your system. Tv Shows are like $7 a season or something? I have no idea, but it was fairly cheap.

There are pretty good games out but since you're not too much of a hardcore gamer I can suggest..

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Awesome story.
Resistance: Fall of Man - Fun to play splitscreen.
LittleBigPlanet is suppose to be a tite game, but Idk.
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - Really fun strategic game, you definitely should look this one up.

Those are just a few you might like.

All pretty much true, but lbp is not a "tie game" it seems cute and fun at first, but it gets very challenging and hard.

Also I am on the same wagon as you to. I am a medium gamer, I don't play a lot of games, but for the few I do I get pretty much into it. I think the PS3 would be great for you. Because in the next few months the PS3 is suppose to be getting some sick games.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:54 pm

Here in Japan they have different bundles. The base system is $400, and the only bundle being produced here is the Liitle Big Planet bundle with an extra controller for $450. Some stores have 2 older bundles... the MGS4 and Winning 11 or whatever that soccer game is. If I did get it I'd probably snag the Little Big Planet one cause it's cheaper than the other bundles, and you pretty much get the controller for free (or game free, whichever way you look at it).

I kind of want to get one here so I can get a silver or white ps3... if I shell out the money, why not be original? It's just such a toss up because I'm not completely sure how much time I'll have to play it between work and living with my gf.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Yeah I'm looking forward to quite a few games in 2009.
http://ps3.ign.com/index/release.html

Return to PlayStation 3