Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

DPM77's New Bragging Rights... PC Gaming Rig ; )

<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:38 am

DPM77's New Bragging Rights... PC Gaming Rig ; )

Ok, so you may have noticed ol' DPM getting a little slow around the forums. Heck, psportable did and got me a little worried that others were thinking the same about me. Anyways, I thought I should clear up why I may not have been moderating as much, posting news as often, or posting in general as often. Basically, a few weeks ago, my beloved EVEREX xt5000t gaming notebook ... randomly died. I'm in the RMA process right now. However, that wasn't enough for me, and I decided to build a desktop gaming rig, with significantly more power, to help ease my loss.

The parts I chose are:

MOBO: Biostar A770
GPU: EVGA 8800GT 512mb / 256-bit
HDD: WD Caviar SE16 320gb / 16mb cache / 7200 RPM
CPU : AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Brisbane 2.8ghz 65W
RAM : Wintec AMPX DDR2 800mhz 4-4-4-12
CASE/ PSU: Nextherm ICS 8200
OPTICAL: Lite-on 20x DVD R Burner w/ lightscribe

I'm going to be using an older 18" CRT monitor for now for two reasons, thought I'll upgrade to an lcd display in ... a year or so? Not sure.

1.) I already own it.
2.) It gets higher resolutions than an LCD.

My previous system specs for the xt5000t notebook were:

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6ghz dual core (3.12 rated)
100GB Fujitsu SATA 1.5 5400RPM Hard Drive
2gb DDR2 533mhz RAM @ 4-4-4-8 timings
7600GO graphics w/ 256mb GDDR2 memory (128-bit)

I think I can say I'm in for a world of a difference. What do you guys think? And, if you're computer savvy, do you think my build is fine if I use the 460W power supply that comes with my case? That's the only "iffy" aspect of this build that I can think of right now. I haven't received the parts, but they should be here sometime this week (Wednesday being the earliest, I think).

Also, if you have a high end computer, or one that you consider an able-gamer, please post your specs. I'm actually quite interested in computers... of which I bet none of you really realized. Are there more people like me around here or am I just some weird alien?

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:24 am

You just a weird alien. I would have a lot better comp, but I'm broke and really don't have any money to waste. But I'm interested in computers a little if that's what cha mean, go look up CompTIA's A+ certification. I recently took the second part of the test for that (IT Tech) and passed :) Rather easy, so if you ever want to get a job in computer repair or anything along those lines that would be a nice thing to have. That and I might try and get Linux+ cert. by the summer. If only I had more money I'd have a beast machine, instead of this junker:
processor: AMD Athlon 64 2.20 ghz 3400+
ram: 1.5gb
optical: 16x8 dvd burner/ 48x32 cd
hd: some wd 200gb
mobo: microstar somethingnother
most of those parts are stock, like the ones I don't have details on :p But it's old, nothing special, can't run crysis XD
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:55 am

Assuming that my power supply won't have any issues, my new system would run Crysis on High with no Anti Aliasing and mid-range resolution with no hiccups at all. In fact, if you goto youtube and type in "8800gt" by itself, you will most likely be flooded with a ton of videos of Crysis on my graphics card. COD4 can max out, along with most other games except for Crysis. I'll be on XP, so I won't get the "very high" settings for Crysis unless I do a hack anyways, and it's not worth it. Very little noticeable difference.

Ace, your motherboard is probably a "Biostar" brand motherboard, same as mine. I don't know of any other motherboard brand that has "star" in it other than Biostar.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:47 pm

I'm surprised you haven't heard of micro-star. My madre's comp has a micro-star in it too. But I decided to find out the info on it just for you ;) It's a micro-star MS-7184.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
<<

Reigo80

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:08 pm

I need to get a job.. I wouldn't mind building my own computer but I have no money. My current computer is okay I guess. It doesn't have a good graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 7100 512mb) and only 1G of RAM. It has problems running games like Gears of War so Crysis is WAY outta my league. Hope your computer turns out really good DPM.

EDIT: Anyone know how to check all your comp specs like proccessor and Motherboard etc?
<<

des343

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:30 pm

Reigo80 wrote:I need to get a job.. I wouldn't mind building my own computer but I have no money. My current computer is okay I guess. It doesn't have a good graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 7100 512mb) and only 1G of RAM. It has problems running games like Gears of War so Crysis is WAY outta my league. Hope your computer turns out really good DPM.

EDIT: Anyone know how to check all your comp specs like proccessor and Motherboard etc?

Google up a program called

"PC Wizard"

Don't worry it's free.
<<

Reigo80

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:45 pm

Sweet, thanks des343. This is my computer specs according to PC Wizard...

<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:49 pm

ace_012 wrote:I'm surprised you haven't heard of micro-star. My madre's comp has a micro-star in it too. But I decided to find out the info on it just for you ;) It's a micro-star MS-7184.

Micro-star stopped labeling their products "micro-star" a while back and "changed" to MSI. Micro Star International. I just had a mind-fart. I've been so used to calling them, "MSI" for years.

Update on the computer build: the parts are on their way. All of them... except the processor :!: lol. But really, since Newegg must not have had the processor I ordered in their Cali warehouse, it seems my processor will come from New Jersey, which is closer to where I live, Michigan, so who knows, maybe everything will arrive close to the same time. I'm putting my money on Thursday as the day I get to put her together.

Yes, "her", but it's, "Bertha" to you guys! ;) lol

EDIT Go into your processor tab in PCWIZARD. What socket is your processor?

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Reigo80

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:53 pm

Item: Support
Description: Socket 939

Is that what you mean?
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:56 pm

Yep.

That let's me know how old it is. AM2 (for AMD dual core processors) and AM2+ (for AMD quad core processors) have taken over 939. FYI AM2 and AM2+ are the same socket, but the motherboard specifies what it is capable of running.

Your 939 socket can handle dual core processors though, but they're older and discontinued I believe. Ebay may be a good place to pick up another 1gb DDR 400mhz ram (I believe your computer uses?) and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ or something pretty cheap. Goto your graphics. Do you have a slot for a PCI-E x16 slot?

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Reigo80

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:03 pm

I wouldn't have a clue if I have a slot. I'm not good with computer Know-how so I don't know, by looking at PC Wizard, if I have a slot for a PCI-E x16. This is what it shows under the Video section of PC Wizard.

<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:33 pm

It appears that you do. It seems you have a dedicated 7100 GS card. Your computer may be able to be upgraded to play many of the newer games on the market, but it will stop short of playing some on full settings. Like COD4 and the like.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Reigo80

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:35 pm

Hmm. If I ever get a job and get some money, i'll seriously consider upgrading my computer.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:58 pm

Reigo80 wrote:Hmm. If I ever get a job and get some money, i'll seriously consider upgrading my computer.

The way parts are becoming cheaper nowadays... you can completely build a new computer for the cost of upgrades just about. I mean, look at my parts. If you tallied up the list, you'll end up at $650 with shipping for TOP-LINE parts.

RAM are especially cheap right now, and graphics cards are on a decline now that they are getting so much more powerful than home console systems like the xbox 360 and PS3. Yes, more powerful. Hard drives are also beginning to come down in price with the introduction of 32mb cache, which is, for the most part, unnecessary on a hard drive right now, but nonetheless, it pushes 16mb cache (the sweet spot) hard drives lower in price.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:24 am

Ah I forgot they changed to MSI, I'm used to calling it micro-star because that's what pc wizard and other things label it as on my computer.
Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't really know of any cheap dual-core processor for a socket 939, if any. The X2 3800+ is a AM2 socket, and I didn't think they are compatible with 939. I will look into it more, but that is what I have heard. So if you have a 939 mobo, your better off just buying a new mobo (such as me).
Next

Return to General Chat