Guns Guns and Guns?

<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:05 am

Quick note on the guns for protection deal... I believe statistically you are more likely to be harmed by your own gun then being able to use it for protection in home invasion situations...
Okay, but what if your son has a bully at school, and he stands up to him?
What if he tries to TP your house while your not there, and your son shoots him? Eh?
Might be a bit drastic, and stereotypical, but hey! Its not impossible.

Oh, and information isn't power, common sense is. You can inform people about all you want, common sense tells them to use it or ignore it.
Not all people have good common sense

Smoking and drinking are really bad examples of this though. Yes they are harmful, but these are things that people weigh the consequences of. I smoke, and I drink. I am aware that it is going to shorten my lifespan, and eventually I will stop. But for now I enjoy these activities and will continue to do so until I've had enough. This is not an act of stupidity or ignoring information... I have just determined that for me the consequences do not outweigh the benefits.
Drinking isn't a good example. As long as you drink in controlled amounts you aren't doing any harm to your body.
As long as you consume less ethonol and petrol(Components of Alcohol) then what your liver can handle, and remember to drink 1 gallon of water a day. You'll be fine.

As for smoking. Cancer is a big risk. But more over, each cigarette takes five minutes from your lifespan. I'm not sure exactly how that data came to be, but common sense will tell you its not 100% untrue.

Your HIV example was kind of stupid too... People that are not HIV positive get tested all the time, and many times it's not just because they were reckless, but that something happened (i.e. broken condom). Many people do use this information to their advantage and consider their past experiences "close calls" and do change their behavior. Yes, there are those that will ignore and still go on with their reckless ways. Fact is there are no statistics on this, so this can't really be debated anyway.
Can't be debated my donkey!
You want statistics? Take the number of people who got tested last year, and subtract that from the number of adults in the country.
Theres your data.
You and I both know that the resulting number says that more than half of the adult population are untested.

On that note, have YOU been tested?

Forcing people to do something will bring about change, but not the change you want. As soon as you force people to do something, they will rebel. Teach common sense... that will bring positive change.
You can't teach common sense.
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:28 pm

It can be taught, but it starts when the people are still young and under their parents house. But I guess most of the parents today don't talk to their children or teach them anything, they leave it to the schools. And the schools fail because the kids don't care and think they are tough stuff even though they are just snobby little kids.

Maybe? idk I just ranted a little.
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:53 pm

Do you think I think I'm "Tough Stuff"?
I'm 14 BTW, which falls under your example, does it not?
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:16 pm

Oh no, I wasn't talking about you at all lol. I'm just talking about the general public. Don't you see it too? The kids these days have ZERO respect for their elders, and hardly have any morals.
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:20 pm

Yes, I was just messing around...

I'm sitting at home BORED.....
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:50 am

que13x said it best:

"It is ridiculous to think that if guns are eliminated that people won't find creative ways to hurt themselves and each other. This is common sense."

People are gonna kill other people... if they don't have guns they'll find other ways to do it.

On the HIV testing note, there's no statistics as to how people's behavior has changed from seeing their results. Yes you can look up how many people have been tested, but that's worthless information. That only says how many tests were administered... doesn't even tell you the amount of people since most tests are anonymous and there are probably multiple tests for some people.

Oh, and yes, I have been tested.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:36 pm

HIV was created in a lab.

My $.02
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:38 pm

I bet it was.
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

Rippon1

Brewer
Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:42 pm

Offtopic

I'd stick with my .50 caliber Desert Eagle any day =]

Best weapons against a zombie invasion is a 12-gauge, .50 caliber or higher, flamethrower, or a AKs-74u.
Or, if you want the fun, yet quick way, GET AN M1 ABRAM!!!! xD
Zombie + Fire = X3 XD
"If I was stuck on an island with only 3 things of my choice, it would be a fishing pole for fishing, a flare gun, and a survival knife. Or, I could just get a boat with some dynamite.......you know, for fishing.......yeah......."
-My friend Ryan.
<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks received: 0

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:09 pm

I would not totally ban guns. If we ever got invaded by another country, I would hate just having my d*ck in my hands. Or if you are ever driving in the wrong side of the city, you may need a bit of protection beyond just a can of maze. And everyone should have the right to protect their property and love ones.

The issue is that there are many sick folks out there. Take away the guns, they will use other weapons. Humans are a violent breed. Just look at that soccer mom trying to get their kids on practice on time and she has to drive behind someone that doesn't have a rush to get home after a long and exhausted work day.
Stylin' with a "Phat" PSP CFW: 5.00 M33-6 w/Kernel 150 add-on 5.00
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:36 pm

Jay-Jay wrote:I would not totally ban guns. If we ever got invaded by another country, I would hate just having my d*ck in my hands.

I like the way you worded that but I believe we have more to worry from domestic threats than we do foreign ones.

As a nation we were one Supreme Court vote away from loosing our right to bear arms a few weeks ago. It it too bad. By the time the people wake up to what is happening it will be too late.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:46 pm

Our rights are going to hell in a handbasket?
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:58 pm

We loose about an ounce of freedom every day. Most of the laws passed since 9\11 have been put in place to keep us safe from terrorists when in fact the laws passed can be applied to anyone anytime anywhere.

Whenever there was a natural disaster the red cross used to show and help people, so would the National Guard. Hell, even people would help people in a natural disaster such as a flood. NOW DHS shows up and declares martial law in the name of national security. Anyone can be shot on site for any violation although so far you are only kept in a detention center for unspecified time. I know people in Missouri that have endured this due to the floods there now.

This sort of thing is non American and should be stopped as soon as possible. People need to band together and oppose this instead of having this "I am glad that is not me" attitude.

If more people paid attention in history class then they would see that Hitler did the same thing after seizing power just before the official start of WWII.

Wake up people. Red or blue pill, your choice.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:23 pm

Yea there are many quit laws being passed that limit our freedoms. It is now against policy to cash 3rd party checks at a bank... You know why? They blame it on 9/11. Rofl I hate it when they try to hurt the terrorists when they are really just f*cking up the normal people.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:31 pm

There is a bill being pushed through congress right now to force credit card companies to send a purchase statement to you AND to the IRS.

This violates the 4th amendment and as far as I can tell has nothing to do with terrorism!

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Zm ... IxYTFmOTc=

http://www.usatoday.com/money/smallbusi ... axes_x.htm

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stor ... a=from_rss

Want to read more? Find your own links!

~George Hotz @ $ony
PreviousNext

Return to General Chat