<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:32 pm

Laptop mods

Anyone know of any places that show how to mod laptops with new cooling fans, led's, etc. My friends giving me her old laptop for $100 all it needs is a new backlight so i figure it'll give me a chance to mess around with something. I'm also getting a free psp slim from her as well cause she dropped it and it doesnt work :D
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Most laptops can hardly be modded, because all of the things in side are proprietary (special size so nothing else can be replaced or put in), changing parts would only work if the part is the same as the part you are removing. Also if you did want to get into laptop modding, the best ones are those EEE PC's, 1 Laptop per child laptops, and other small netbooks.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:02 pm

i'm sure theres gotta be enough space to add LED lighting somewhere though...all it is are a few wires and a few tiny bulbs.
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:43 pm

If all you're doing is adding leds, then why do you need a tutorial?

Tap into a power source, and make sure you even the voltages.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:45 am

Because its something i havent exactly done before. I know how to do it on the PSP, havent done it first hand though. As for a laptop, a tutorial would show me where the majority of stuff is located and i would be able to figure out what does what from there. I'm sure if i opened up a laptop/computer i personally wouldnt be able to tell which is the power switch board because i'm assuming theres more components inside. Gotta keep in mind this is new to me and "giving me a chance to mess around with something".
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:31 am

There is not that many laptop mods out there, because I have looked for similiar things before. but you would NOT want to tap into the main power or anything connected to the fans or mobo, you could fry those. Your best bet is USB power. Maybe from the inside buy or make a LED light tube, and run it through the top part of the screen and drill holes for were the LED's would be and from the inside put like a piece of a plastic bag in there so dust would not get in. And somehow plus the USB LED light thing from the inside, but I don't know that's just an idea, the last time I looked at the screen of a laptop, it was pretty packed in there hardly enough room for anything to fit.

Just experiment, and don't fry anything or your self lol.

Maybe this could help to, http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2006/10 ... ed_earth/1 I don't know what it is really about but all I saw was the first and last page and the last page has LED skull eye;s on the back of the case. Just go from there maybe and do your own thing.

And a few other mods, didn't really look into it but it might help you out also http://www.notebookforums.com/showthrea ... ge=1&pp=15
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:30 am

Yeah i just found that same link to the notebook forums today. Based on what i've come across, I plan to dremmel the case to create a design for the lights to shine through. Add surface mount led's inside, the notebook forum gave me ideas of how i could power the led's. And i have to research some more on what kind of cover i can add for the dremmelled places so that dust and debris cant get inside. I'm thinking of finding some thin plexi glass to use and just glue it in. I'm also planning on spray painting it to give it a nice shine/glow (saw a tutorial on that in notebook forums as well). Aside from that, havent really found much on it.

The laptop is an HP DV2000 though in case anyone else wants to help look for ideas. I need to find a disassembly tutorial as well.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:39 am

I will look for one for you but for the most part, (that I know of) were the keyboard is near the back right most times near the speakers, there is sort of a drop in the keyboard, and you put like a plastic knife in there or whatever and lift it up, then (that's about as much as I know but I did just find a guide.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=228268
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:06 pm

Nice, thanks man. :D
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag

Return to General Chat