Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:09 am

CFW 3.90M33 Guide/Tutorial

Requirements
--------------
In order to install 3.90 M33 Firmware you will need the following:

* Either a PSP-100* console (AKA Fat PSP) running either 3.52 M33-3 or 3.52 M33-4 or higher (Previous versions of M33 won't work, due to a bug that affects them and OE) or a PSP-200* (AKA Slim PSP) running 3.60-M33 or higher.
* 3.90 M33 (MIRROR#1 - MIRROR#2) by M33=Dark_AleX

* Official SONY v3.90 Firmware Update EBOOT. Download it from PSP-Hacks.Com [RAR format]
* Official SONY v1.50 Firmware Update EBOOT. This one will ONLY be required if you want to install the 1.50 Kernel compatibility, which is useful ONLY to Classic (Fat) PSPs. If you have a Slim DO NOT even try installing it, it won´t work.Download it from PSP-Hacks.Com [ZIP Format].

Precautions/Suggestions before you start
--------------------------------------------

* Ensure the memory stick used for the upgrade/downgrade process is in good shape. This means it's got no bad sectors that may result in failed CRC checksums for the files contained in it.
* Normally if your Memory Stick is legitimate you should not have any problems. Many people have experienced semibricks / bricks due to cheap fake memory sticks sold on eBay. As a suggestion I recommend you use the original 32MB / 1GB memory card bundled originally with your PSP.
* A good practice would be formatting the Memory Stick prior to the downgrade (Remember to back your important files up before you do that) and use any error-checking utility to scan the Memory Stick for failures.
* Alternatively you can use a CRC checksum utility (SFV, MD5SUM...) to verify that the data copied onto your memory stick is consistent with the original.
* Charge your battery to its maximum capacity in advance and leave the PSP plugged to the mains during the upgrade/downgrade process.
* During the upgrade/downgrade process, once the files have started being copied to the flash memory you MUST not be reboot your PSP manually, or turn it off, or the remove the Memory Stick until the flashing process has finished, or otherwise your PSP will end up bricked.
* If you are installing either the 3.90 M33 CFW or any of the UPDATE files in a Fat PSP, ensure you have configured in the Recovery Menu of the PSP the GAME folder to run in the 3.XX kernel mode, or otherwise the installer will refuse to run.

Installation

------------

1.- Download the 3.90 M33 by M33=Dark_AleX from any of the above link. Uncompress the contents of the downloaded "390m33.rar" file (The name may differ is you got it from any of the mirrors) into a handy location of your HD. Browse the uncompressed contents in your HD, and you will see a folder called UPDATE.

2.- Connect your PSP to your PC via USB cable and enable the USB Mode on your PSP.

3.- From your Operative System, go to the directory :/PSP/GAME located in your memory stick.

4.- Copy the UPDATE folder and its contents, into the folder :/PSP/GAME of your Memory Stick.

5.- Download the 3.90 Official SONY Update File from the download link above. Make sure you select a handy location in your Hard Disk where you can find easily it later on, i.e. Your Windows Desktop. The Update EBOOT.PBP file will be packed in RAR Format and you might need some additional software to uncompress the file (for instance WinRAR). Uncompress the RAR file, and you should en up with a uncompressed file named EBOOT.PBP. This is the uncompressed Firmware Update file. Keep the file in a handy location easy to find in your HD.

6.- Rename the file EBOOT.PBP into 390.PBP.

7.- Copy the file 390.PBP to the folder :/PSP/GAME/UPDATE of your Memory Stick.
Note: The program will not even show in the PSP if you copy it to a different folder than that one.

8.- Disable the USB Mode safely and disconnect the PSP from the PC.

9.- In the PSP's XMB Menu, goto "Game" -> "Memory Stick"

10.- Highlight the 3.90 M33 installer and press the X button to execute the program which will require al least 78% of battery. If you have idstorage corrupted due to a downgrader, the program will ask you to correct it automatically so the update can continue.

11.- Press X, and the Sony updater will begin. Sit and enjoy while Sony code installs 3.90 M33 Smiley

12.- When finished, the updater will ask you to reboot (pressing X or O). DO SO. Do not skip this step by shutting down the PSP using the On/Off Switch or otherwise you'll end up with a brick.

13.- Restart your PSP. Check your PSP Settigs Menu (Settings -> System Settings -> System Information). You should be now in 3.90 M33

Upgrading your CFW or installing the latest bugfix patch the "new" and easy way

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dark_Alex has implemented a cool new feature from CFW 3.80 M33, the automatic installer via internet.
Once you are in 3.80 M33 (or over), configure a Network Connection so you can browse the internet via WiFi with your PSP. Go to System -> Network Update and press the "X" button. The PSP will connect to the internet and check whether there is a bugfix patch available. If there´s any it will download it for you automatically. Once downloaded it will ask if you want to run it straightaway or otherwise it will tell you to run it via the Game menu.
With this Network Update you can even update from 3.80 M33 to 3.90 M33, the PSP will even ask you if you want to download the Official SONY v3.90 Firmware Update EBOOT in the process Wink

This nice feature is enable by default. You can turn it off in the Recovery Menu (When off, Network Update will download Sony updates as usual).

Installing the 1.50 Kernel compatibility (FOR FAT PSPs ONLY)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Since the Slim PSP is not compatible with 1.50 Kernel the main CFW installer will not install 1.50 Kernel anymore. Nevertheless a 1.50 Kernel addon for 3.90 M33 is available to add this capability (but for Fat PSPs ONLY). Therefore if you have a Slim PSP you must skip this section.

Note: This update is totaly independent of the 3.90 M33 version installed (1, 2, or future ones).

1.- Download the 1.50 Kernel addon for 3.90.

2.- Uncompress the contents of the "150k_addon390.rar" file into a handy location your HD. Browse the uncompressed contents in your HD, and you will see a folder called "150k_Addon" containing four files (EBOOT.PBP, ipl_update.prx, libpsardumper.prx and pspdecrypt.prx).

3.- Connect your PSP to your PC via USB cable and enable the USB Mode on your PSP.

4.-Copy the folder called "150k_Addon" and all its contents to ms0:/PSP/GAME/

5.- Download the 1.50 Official SONY Update File from any of the download links above. Unzip the 1.50 update to a temporary folder. Rename the unzipped 1.50 EBOOT.PBP file to 150.PBP. Then copy it into the root of your Memory Stick.

6.- Disable the USB Mode safely and disconnect the PSP from the PC.

7.- In the PSP's XMB Menu, goto "Game" -> "Memory Stick"

8.- Highlight the 1.50 Kernel Installer for 3.90 M33 and press X button to execute the program.

9.- The updater will remind you that once installed you will loose the Location Free Player and Korean font. Press X to agree, and the Update will be installed.

20.- Your fat PSP will now be able to execute homebrew applications based in 1.50 Kernel. (Remember that by default all 1.50 Kernel Homebrew should be installed in the :/PSP/GAME150/ folder).

Changes in 3.90 M33
--------------------

* Now uses 3.90
* March33 NO UMD: fixed (yet another) bug related with exiting with home. (infinite semaphore wait)
* Changes in updater:
* The degeneration check and correction of IDS keys happens too in 3.71 now.
* Added code to download 3.90 PBP from net via wifi. Note that his code is not yet 100% stable, it may crash when selecting AP. In that case,reinit the installer.
* L+triangle has been restored as method to bypass battery. If you already have 390.PBP keep those buttons pressed until you see "Veryfing 390.PBP". If the 390.PBP is being downloaded bia wifi, press those buttons at the end of download until you see the previous sentence.

Basically these are the Original CFW / UPDATE / 150 ADDON Instructions from the ReadMe.txt with a few additions / changes to make it more understandable.

If you have read the instructions but you are still having trouble to get the CFW installed working, we suggest that you reply to this topic with the question(s) that you may have rather than starting a new topic/thread instead. We'll try to help Smiley.

Hopefully this guide will stop unnecessary threads from people asking the same questions again and again.

It goes without saying that any replies asking or discussing about ISO capabilities of any sort will be automatically deleted. :-)

Credits to:
Dark_ALeX
Forum.Noobz.eu
Last edited by />s/> on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_][_||
|_][_][_][_][_][_]MY PSP ISBRICKED[_][_][_][_][_][_][_|

<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm

Next time write your own tutorial instead of copy and paste. You didn't even credit the site you stole this from...

http://forums.noobz.eu/general-discussi ... utorial/0/
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:59 am

Well he wrote "Credits to Dark_Alex" But yea, you gotta show the source link.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:45 am

AdventWolf wrote:Well he wrote "Credits to Dark_Alex" But yea, you gotta show the source link.

Thats because in the original tutorial has that... the original it's a link, but since he copied and pasted the link didn't come with...
<<

/>s/>

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Sorry,I'd thought it be advertising...

<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:35 am

If you're going to post a tutorial, then write your own...

Yes, we don't want to just keep posting links to other sites as that will decrease our own traffic... thats why we write our own tutorials and post them. BUT, if you do take something from another site then you need to post a reference! As it stands you STILL haven't done so.

If you REALLY want to help, try writing up your own tutorial.
<<

/>s/>

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:34 pm

Well I did edit some stuff like the link and I just gave credits to the link.

<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:50 pm

Hey, just wanted to thank the person in putting this tutorial. I am now in the process of updating from CFW 3.52 M33-4 to CFW 3.90 M33-2 with the Kernel 150 add-on 3.90 v2 (found at Dark Alex's website Click Here ).

Wish me luck!!!

UPDATE
Sucess!! I am now able to play the CSOs I couldn't load on CFW 3.52!! Love it!! Plus I can still play with my homebrew EMUs--Love it!!

I think you guys should include this information below the tutorial above, since you will have to do this when you update:

RECOVERY MENU:
To enter Recovery mode, turn ur psp totally off (not sleep mode), now turn on and hold R trigger at the same time, this is ur recovery menu.
-Now sometimes, doing upgrades causes bugs, to fix, i recommend everyone who does a upgrade to "delete flash1 and reset settings" from recovery.
-Goto Advanced and select "delete flash1 and reset settings"
-Also in Recovery i recommend u boost ur CPU speed to max for both options.
-Also in Recovery is Configuration folder, make changes so it looks like this:
skip sony logo - enabled
hide corrupt icons - enabled
game folder homebrew - 3.xx(depending on firmware) or 1.5 for homebrew(fat only and u need to install the 1.5 kernal addon patch for each different CF)
autorun program at .... - disabled (this is used to recover back to 1.5 or run a eboot if u mess up ur psp)
umd mode - sony np9660 (u dont need a umd in anymore, and it plays any iso/cso)

VSH MENU:
Besides Recovery menu, there is VSH menu, u can reach the vsh menu by pressing the "home" button from xmb for 3.52M33 users or by pressing "select" button from xmb for 3.71+M33 users. The VSH menu is just a quick shortcut of ur Recovery menu(if u cant access it, goto Recovery>Configeration and make sure vsh menu is enabled).

DUMPING UMD 2 ISO:
To dump a umd to a iso the easy way, u need M33 custom firmware, put umd in, from xmb goto vsh menu, then change usb device to UMD disc, then go back to xmb, then scroll left to usb connection, connect usb cord, and connect to computer, ur usb folder should appear, if not find it as a removable device in "my computer" and open it, u will see a file called umd9660.iso, copy this file to ur computer, when done, exit usb connection, go back to VSH menu, change back usb device to memory stick, then exit and connect usb again, rename the umd9660.iso file to the proper game name(keep name length less than 20 characters) and copy this iso file to ur ISO folder. Done

PLAYING VIDEO ISO's
To play video iso's, copy iso into ms0:\iso\video\ then, goto vsh menu from xmb by pressing "home" button for 3.52M33 and "select" for 3.71M33+.
Scroll down to "iso video mount" and mount iso, exit vsh menu and goto game>memstick and run movie...(helps to have umd in)
Last edited by Jay-Jay on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stylin' with a "Phat" PSP CFW: 5.00 M33-6 w/Kernel 150 add-on 5.00
<<

ktmayfie

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:47 am

when will the 1.50 kernel for the slim be out you think?
<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:36 pm

ktmayfie wrote:when will the 1.50 kernel for the slim be out you think?

I think it's unlikely they will do it, since they are working on the Time Machine that will help all Slim users play homebrew like a 1.50 phat version. Click here for more details: http://pspbrew.com/index.php?page=newsPage&id=530
<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:11 am

Update:

Just wanted to let you guys know that there is a new third build number version of CFW 3.90 M33. It's version M33 3.90-3 Click here to download the update: http://www.dark-alex.org/
<<

thewizardoffozz

Young Brewer

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:51 pm

Jay-Jay wrote:
ktmayfie wrote:when will the 1.50 kernel for the slim be out you think?

I think it's unlikely they will do it, since they are working on the Time Machine that will help all Slim users play homebrew like a 1.50 phat version. Click here for more details: http://pspbrew.com/index.php?page=newsPage&id=530

i was wondering if there was any new information about Time Machine, i really want 1.50 on the slim. i needs it.
...i should have wings by now...
<<

deMunoid

Young Brewer

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:39 pm

I just followed this and when I selected the update from my mem stick a black screen appeared that says unpacking... done. the it just sits there at Please Wait... its been here for about 5min.. can I just shut it off and try again or if I do will it be bricked?? any help is appreciated as I am staring at it right now!! HELP!

nevermind.. I had 1.50 kernel running!! oops.
<<

JayJay

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:34 pm

Okay, I just updated my "Phat" PSP

To: CFW 5.00 M33-6 w/Kernel 1.50 add-on for 5.00

I still followed the above instructions, so it would be easy for me. I hope you guys never take down this tutorial.
Stylin' with PSP!!

Return to PSP Tutorials