I. Firmware
II. PSP Purchase Guide
III. Downgrading
IV. Memory Stick
V. Modified Firmware
VI. DevHook
VII. How To Play Downloaded Games
VIII. Important Links

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I. Firmware

The firmware for the PSP is the most important piece of knowledge you will have to learn, so lets begin there! The PSP's firmware is comparable to your computer's operating system. Updates and security fixes are constantly released. Here is a list of all the firmwares available.

All games require a certain firmware version or higher to play. That means if you want to play the game "Pursuit Force", you will need 2.50 or higher to play. If you have a lower version, you will have to update. To play homebrew (downloaded games), you will need to have 1.5 on your PSP. Don't worry, all will be explained in the rest of the guide!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
II. PSP Purchase Guide

If you haven't purchased a PSP yet, then read here if you want to make homebrew easy for you. On the side of the PSP box you will see this.

See the circled letter? That letter will tell you what firmware version the PSP is inside. Here is the letter guide for most of the firmwares.

No letter = 1.0 (Japanese Release) OR 1.5 (North-American release)
A = 1.5
B = 1.51
C = 1.52
D = 1.52
E = 1.52
F = 2.0
G = 2.01
H = 2.50
I = 2.60
J = 2.70
K = 2.71
L = 2.81
Unknown = 2.82
Unknown = 3.00
Unknown = 3.01
Unknown = 3.02
Unknown = 3.03
Unknown = 3.10
Unknown = 3.11

If it's possible purchase 1.5 (or at least the lowest possible) , but don't worry if you are unable to. 3.03 and lower can all be downgraded to 1.5! Downgrading is slightly risky because it could possibly break (AKA brick) your PSP, but the risk is quite low if you follow the directions exactly.

III. Downgrading

To play any downloaded games, you will need to have firmware 1.5. To check what you have on your PSP, turn it on and go to "Settings > System Settings > System Information". If you do not have 1.5, you will need to downgrade. Like I have said before, downgrading is slightly risky. Most people that brick their PSP's do so because they didn't follow the directions properly, so read directions thoroughly to avoid becoming a victim! There are many downgraders that exist, so I can't list them all. Here are two downgraders that most people will need at this point in time.

3.03 Easy Downgrader (Requires unpatched GTA:LCS UMD)
Code:
  Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/22447792/303EasyDown.rar.html

2.80 Downgrader (TA-082 - TA-086 ALL Motherboard)
Code:
  Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/22495729/TA-082_2.80_-_1.5_Easy_Downgrader__stable___all_Mobo_s_.zip.html

If you have a lower version of firmware on your PSP than the downgrader, you will have to update to the downgraders required firmware. If you think you need another downgrader that is not listed, PM me.

IV. Memory Stick

To play all those great downloaded games, you will need a decent memory card. I recommend atleast 1GB, but if you can afford a bigger card thats better. One thing to watch out for is fake memory cards on Ebay or unreputable sites. Only buy from trusted sources to be safe (Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, Newegg, etc). Here are some good products and their average price.

SanDisk 512MB Memory Stick PRO Duo -> $35.00
SanDisk 1.0GB Memory Stick PRO Duo -> $44.00
SanDisk 2.0GB Memory Stick PRO Duo -> $80.00
SanDisk 4.0GB Ultra II Memory Stick PRO Duo -> $100.00 - $150.00

V. Modified Firmware

Personally I recommend Modified firmware to play homebrew, but some might dislike it because it requires you to flash your PSP. Once installed, modified firmware is extremely easy to use, unlike DevHook which is your other option. One of the upsides is that you can play PS1 games without the need of a PS3!

3.03 OE-C easy installer
Code:
  Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/22449253/303OEC_EASY.rar.html

Instructions for installing 3.03 OE-C using the easy installer
Code:
1. Double click extractor(or you can open it with winrar), extract to memorystick.

2. Run the flasher("3.03 OE-C Firmware Install"). If your battery is less than 75%,
the program will show an error saying the battery is to low and it will return to the XMB.

3. If you have enough battery, the program will continue and will show an
agreement. Press X to accept it and it will flash the custom firmware to your psp.
Do not turn PSP off or take memorystick out while flashing is in progress.

4. After finishing flashing, your PSP will reboot to XMB and you should now be
running 3.03 OE - C.

5. Read the info which comes with download for any problems please as it has
everything you need & it lists changes.

VI. DevHook

For people who are either nervous about flashing there PSP with modified firmware or just want to keep there PSP at 1.50, the answer is DevHook! There is little to no risk of bricking your PSP while installing DevHook, so this might be the best choice for newer PSP users. The other wonderful part about using DevHook is that it comes with an automatic installer (easy for beginners)! The downside to using DevHook is that you will be unable to play PS1 games, only the "OE" firmwares can play them.

Devhook.52.0100 installer
Code:
  Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/22967865/Devhook_.52.01_Installation_Noob_Proof_1.5.zip.html

Instructions for Installation
Code:
1. Extract "Devhook.52.01 Installation Noob Proof.exe" to Memorystick.

2. Launch " DH FW Installer".

3. Press X when prompted and wait till its finished it will autoexit.

4. Launch "Devhook 0.52 Launcher".

5. Remove any Devhook files previously flashed using Devhook launcher.

6. Select your game,select 3.11 as fw and press start, now you should be emulating FW 3.11.

After the installation you can delete the following from your memorystick...

ms0:\psp\game/150\%__SCE__302_dh_fw_installer
ms0:\psp\game/150\__SCE__302_dh_fw_installer

VII. How To Play Downloaded Games

Hopefully you now have the modified firmware running on your PSP, so I bet you can't wait to play games, right? The great thing is that you can play both PSP and PS1 games. To play your downloaded games, load the ISO or CSO of your game into the "ISO" folder on your PSP. If you would like to play a PS1 game, you will find many PSP-ready PS1 games in Warez-bb's console games section. Just place the PS1 eboot into the "GAME" folder on your PSP.

To play your games, turn on your PSP and go to "Game > Memory Stick > YOUR GAMES LISTED HERE".

VIII. Important Links

Misc PSP news/downloads
Code:
  Code:
http://pspupdates.qj.net/
http://www.psp-hacks.com/
http://www.dark-alex.org/

Game download topics
Code:
  Code:
http://z4.invisionfree.com/LankanCore/index.php?showforum=22

I know that this guide can be filled with more information, and I will update it as often as possible. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to say them in a comment.

NOTE: Please do not PM me for help, I have been receiving far too many. I love helping people, but I can't help everybody. If you have a question please feel free to ask in this topic.
<<

Mailas

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:04 am

Isnt this in an ebook?
<<

Supashay91

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 1

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:53 am

Game Downloads eh?

Yeah this needs to be taken down as well, for the OE-C Extractor, the Devhook Installer, and the game downloads requiring no registration.
PS3 Friend Name:Supashay91
Passion,Joy,Sorrow,Pain and tears.
They will all be pabulum of your life.
<<

anusan

Thanks received: 0

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:30 am

if itz against the rules
go ahead and take it down

im new to thiss
im just giving in wht i can
^_^
Want FREE/Easy Money??
Checkk this...Confirmed Not a
FAKE!

CLICK HERE!
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:30 am

Supashay91 wrote:Yeah this needs to be taken down as well, for the OE-C Extractor, the Devhook Installer, and the game downloads requiring no registration.

As Supashay warns, including links to sites that allow the downloading of illegal content without being a member first is against our forum policy. I'd edit them out myself, but I wonder to myself if you will actually keep this tutorial up-to-date. There's some specific information that is subject to change and with only 2 posts, I sort of question whether you will hang around to keep up with it. Don't get me wrong, I hope you do, but I'm just skeptical at this point.

Given the changes that need to be made, I will update the Master Tutorial Guide and include this.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

kingcoke

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:10 pm

lol

Copy and Paste from a sticky on a website that I can not mention.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:32 am

kingcoke wrote:lol

Copy and Paste from a sticky on a website that I can not mention.

Helpful content is helpful content, regardless the source.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:24 pm

"Game > Memory Stick > YOUR GAMES LISTED HERE".

Needs to be switched to Memory Stick > PSP > Game > YOUR GAMES

Return to PSP Tutorials