<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:04 pm

[Tutorial] Pandora's Battery Installation Procedure

"Easy Installer" for creating the magic memory stick is available. Click here. ~ from eckounltd.
    What you will need.
    Installation Procedure
    How to revert battery back to normal (credit to jas0nuk)
    FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

*DISCLAIMER* this tutorial is a more expanded version of the readme.txt that is bundled
with the pandora's battery download. Neither myself or PSPBrew.com will be responsible
for any damages that may result from using this hack, eventual or otherwise.

What is this?:

The Pandora's Battery is a hack that was developed by team C & D that allows access to the PSP unit's
"service mode". Because of this, all PSP units can now be downgraded regardless of firmware, and all
bricked PSP units can now be recovered to their normal state. This program will delete/ rewrite your
flash files on the PSP unit's 32mb internal NAND memory and will install an incomplete version of the
"golden firmware", version 1.50. It is advised that you upgrade from 1.50 to a custom firmware.

What you will need:

1. Preferably a second PSP battery, made by Sony, and operating at 3.6V ~ 1800 mAh. Model PSP-110.
*NOT* a battery designed for a Slim PSP unit.
2. Preferably a second memory stick pro duo that is made by Sony. Most people use 256mb cards.
3. A PSP unit that is capable of homebrew (card readers can be used for some steps, but not for all).
4. A copy of Sony's firmware 1.50 -- [[Download Here]]
5. The Pandora's Battery hack -- [[Download Here]]
6. A program that is capable of extracting zipped files such as WinRAR -- [[Download Here]

*note* - If you don't know how to use WinRAR and need additional assistance, click here to follow this tutorial.

Installation Procedure:

1. Format the memory stick pro duo. You can do this by using the format tool on the PSP
(settings/psp settings/format memory stick), or by using Windows to format the memory
stick on the computer.

2. The following steps will incorporate "Command Prompt" on the computer. Because of this,
I encourage you to extract the pandora's battery contents into your local drive. Extract pandora's
battery into the root of your computers local drive into this directory -

example: C:\pandora

On most computers, this is the C:\ drive. From now on, I will refer to the C:\ drive as the local drive.
If yours is different, replace "C" with the drive you're using.

3. Now you must open command prompt on the computer. To do this, open your start menu and choose
the "Run" function. Type the letters, "cmd" and press enter to open command prompt.

4. Make sure you are using your local disk. Type "C:" into command prompt and hit enter.

5. Now you need to run the mspformat. Type "cd c:\pandora\mspformat" into command prompt and hit enter.

6. Now you need to execute the mspformat on your memory stick pro duo. Mine is in the F:\ drive, so
I will type "mspformat F". Make sure you use the correct drive for your memory card. You can see what letter
is designated to your memory card by going into "My Computer".

7. Type "y" and hit enter to confirm the mspformat.

8. Now you should stop the USB connection (or card reader) and unplug your memory stick pro duo by taking
it OUT of the PSP or memory stick slot in your PSP. If you wish, you can leave the usb cable connected to the PSP unit.

9. Now plug the memory stick back in and reconnect the memory stick pro duo back to your
computer (this is a safety precaution).

10. You may have to manually create the Game directory, if you do, make a folder in this location.

example: X:\PSP\GAME OR you can use X:\PSP\GAME150

I've used the letter "X" to indicate the drive letter for the memory stick pro duo. It may be different on your system.

11. Now copy the folders, "pbfirm_install" and "pbfirm_install%" from the folder "installer" in the pandora's battery
archive file you downloaded into the directory X:\PSP\GAME. If you already have custom firmware installed, and
you use an alternate folder to run homebrew from, type that instead of "GAME". Folders like "GAME150" or
"GAME390" etc. are what I'm talking about. If you don't use those folders, use the normal "GAME" folder.

12. Now copy the folders "pandora_battery" and "pandora_battery%" from the folder "battery" in the pandora's battery
archive file you downloaded into the directory X:\PSP\GAME (or alternate homebrew folder(s) mentioned above).

13. Now you will need to open up your firmware 1.50 download and place the EBOOT.PBP file on the root of your
memory stick pro duo.

example: X:\EBOOT.PBP - where "X" is the drive letter for your memory stick pro duo.

14. Rename the EBOOT.PBP file to "UPDATE.PBP"

15. Now stop the USB connection again and use the PSP to open the "Pandora's Battery Firm. Installer".

16. Now follow this next step carefully. When the "Pandora's Battery Firmware Installer" is finished,
remove the memory stick from the PSP unit and then turn the PSP unit off (hard reset). After it is off,
place the memory stick pro duo back in the PSP unit and power back on.

17. Once that is done, make a USB connection to the computer again and copy the file, "msipl.bin"
from the memory stick pro duo, over to the computer in this directory -

example: C:\pandora\msinst

18. Now, in command prompt, type "cd c:\pandora\msinst" and press "enter". If you have
closed command prompt, follow step #3 to open it back up.

19. Next, type "msinst X msipl.bin" and press "enter". Keep in mind that "X" is the drive
letter for your memory stick pro duo.

20. Once again, remove the memory stick pro duo from the PSP unit and turn the PSP
unit off (hard reset). Once done, reinsert the memory stick pro duo and turn the PSP
unit back on.

21. Now, use the PSP unit and run the program, "Pandora's Battery Creator" from the
Game section of the memory stick pro duo.
*NOTE* I highly recommend
backing up the "eeprom" of the battery so that you can recover the battery to it's normal state.
The file is only 1kb so there's more than enough room. If you DO backup the eeprom, make
sure to go back into the battery program to update the battery's firmware.

22. After that, you will have to remove the memory stick pro duo from the PSP
unit yet again and turn the PSP unit off (hard reset). Then insert the memory stick pro duo
again and power the PSP unit back on.

Now you have created the "JigKick battery" and the "Magic Memory Stick Pro Duo".
In order to complete the process, however, you will have to unplug the battery and take out the
memory stick pro duo ONE LAST TIME and then put them back in the PSP unit and power back on.
Now all you have to do is hit the "X" button when prompted to... and... wait... and then....

Congratulations, you've just unbricked/ downgraded your PSP unit successfully!

How to revert battery back to normal

1) Convert your battery into a jigkick one using "Pandora's Battery Creator", but before you press X,
press TRIANGLE to backup your battery's EEPROM to ms0:/eeprom.bin
2) Unbrick your PSP as normal
3) When you are done unbricking, take out the battery and the magic memory stick. Start up the PSP
using the AC adaptor (do not try to use a USB charger, it will not start up)
4) Insert the magic memory stick and the magic battery
5) Run "Pandora's Battery Creator" again
6) Press L+R to restore the ms0:/eeprom.bin to your battery

NOTE: You can also restore a battery without having made a backup, by pressing SQUARE at step 6.
This will generate a fake serial for your battery (0x12345678) which allows it to work normally, but there could be side-effects. To this date, no battery, to my knowledge, has been damaged from using the serial # 0x12345678. However, other lithium-ion batteries used in other devices in which the batteries have had their serial #'s changed, they have been known to be "overcharged" and may explode. It's not likely, and varies from device to device. That said, the PSP should be safe if you use a fake serial, but again, referring to the disclaimer at the top of this tutorial, neither myself or PSPBrew.com will retain responsibility for the use of this tutorial, no matter how safe I say it is.

FAQ

Q.) Can I make my battery normal after I use this?
A.) Yes, you can. A few lines above this is a short guide on how to make the battery work normally again.

Q.) I don't have a second PSP unit with homebrew already enabled and can't borrow one that is either. How can I make a Pandora's Battery?
A.) You can make a Pandora's Battery without a second PSP, but it will require that you hard-mod the PSP battery by lifting the 5th pin/ leg
off of the circuit board on the inside of the battery. A full tutorial for how to do that can be found by clicking here.

Q.) I have no access to a PSP with homebrew-enabled and have no experience of soldering/ modding. Am I helpless?
A.) No, you aren't. In fact, the company Datel made a "PSP Tool" that is the same thing as a Pandora's Battery. If you
don't have access to a homebrew-enabled PSP or anyone that can hard-mod your battery, all you need to have is
access to $29.99 (as well as shipping and handling) and you can buy this tool. It isn't sold in US stores. Buy it from
Divineo-UK. It says it's in stock on the US page but it hasn't been since September 2007. To buy this online from
Divineo-UK, click here.

Q.) I have a Slim version of the PSP. Can I still use Pandora's Battery?
A.) I recommend using this tutorial instead of mine. It is for a Despertar Cementerio Battery, and is safe for the slim.
It will automatically install version 3.71M33 custom firmware.

Q.) I only have a slim PSP, but I am good at soldering and modding. Is it possible to use my slim PSP's battery to make a Pandora's Battery?
A.) No, Sony fixed the slim batteries so that they wouldn't be able to be made into Pandora's Batteries. Instead, refer to this link in

Q.) I have a slim PSP but not a second PSP to use in order to follow the guide to make a Despertar Cementerio Battery. Help!?
A.) Don't worry, Datel also made a battery tool for the Slim PSP line. Again, buy from the Divineo-UK website.
It isn't in stock for the US page even though it may say it is. It hasn't been in stock since September 2007.

Q.) I've made the magic memory stick and the Pandora's Battery, but when I put them in my PSP nothing happens. Why?
A.) It could simply be that you didn't follow the steps as closely as you should have, or it could be that you need to use an
older battery. A Sony-brand battery with a model number of PSP-110 should work every time.

Q.) Will my memory stick pro duo still work normally after I use this?
A.) Yes, just for safe measure, reformat the memory stick in both the PSP units and also Windows. It should be 100% fine.

Q.) I get an error that says, "open error read" - how can I solve this?
A.) Make sure to use a memory stick pro duo that is 256mb or larger in capacity.

Q.) My memory stick pro duo is 256mb (or higher), but on Windows Vista, it's still saying "open error read". Why?
A.) Good question. Most people have claimed that they can't get this to work on Vista (including myself).
Use Windows XP instead. It is recommended that you use Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Q.) I'm getting an error that says that there is "one or more logical drives". How do I fix this?
A.) Again, make sure that the memory stick is 256mb (or higher) and also make sure that you
format it - perhaps a few times. You can use both Windows as well as the PSP to format.

Q.) Can this downgrade ANY firmware?
A.) Yes.

Q.) Can this un-brick ANY PSP?
A.) Yes. Some have claimed that certain "semi-bricked" PSP units are unrecoverable, but that is just hear-say.
It should work if you follow this guide step-by-step.

Q.) What steps do I have to follow in order to "downgrade" a PSP with Pandora's Battery?
A.) Upon placing the battery in the PSP, there should be an on-screen prompt. Press the
"X" button to continue with the process and write version 1.50 on the PSP.

Q.) After I unbrick/ downgrade my PSP unit, do I have to use the Pandora's Battery and "magic memory stick" or can I use others?
A.) In fact, the Pandora's Battery won't even POWER a regular PSP unit. You will need to revert the battery to normal and it's also a good thing to reformat the memory stick a few times in the PSP and/ or in Windows as well.

Q.) Can I make the magic memory stick without a PSP?
A.) Yes you can, provided you have a card reader that works with memory stick pro duos.
There is an "easy installer" at the top of this thread that will make the magic memory stick.

Q.) Can I use my off-brand battery for use with the Pandora's Battery mod?
A.) Some people have used them and had success, however, it is not recommended
that you use a third-party battery because it may be constructed
differently than Sony's, therefor, more susceptible to unexplained complications.
People have used off-brand batteries with no consequences, but make sure it
coordinates to the same internals that are used by Sony's PSP-110 model of
batteries.

More to be added when brought to my attention.

-DarkPacMan77-
Last edited by DarkPacMan77 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:41 am, edited 24 times in total.
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 1

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Probably one of the best tutorials on here, great job.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:39 pm

Thanks. I plan to add a FAQ to the bottom, but I'll work on that later tonight because I'm in a really bad thunderstorm right now. In fact, the power should go out soon... :( - but I will add one

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Slick

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:44 pm

I think were suppose to get thunderstorm too, due to the bad weather thats going through Texas, I think.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:50 pm

Well I'm not even home right now actually... I walked across town to be able to use my friends wireless and power so that I could finish this tutorial. Now it's beginning to get stormy again though. Probably will all tonight but I will try to be here as much as I can... can't promise anything. My power at home is out and they said that they think it would take until Saturday to get it back up and going... :(

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

tbag

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:17 pm

nice

good job man glad to see things are still getting done
<<

newpspdude

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:23 pm

thnx a lot for everytihng pacman i think i got it to work cuz the psp wont turn on with the pandora battery..nice tutorial..soo all i have to do is put the memory stick and battery in the brick psp and it will unbrick?
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: nice

tbag wrote:good job man glad to see things are still getting done

tbag - stick around here and I have a proposition for you

Also, newpspdude - yes, that should instantly unbrick a psp if you put the modified battery and memory stick into a psp.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

newpspdude

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:37 pm

tight! thnx man nice tutorial again.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:10 pm

You should include the steps on how to reconvert your battery back to its normal state.
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:12 pm

Ok - will do.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

lalilulelo

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:40 am

good tutorial and if your able to restore the battery back from being a jigkick battery, can you still use your memory stick for normal psp use?
(i really need to unbrick my dummy psp so i can go back to experimenting again)
Image I'm rocking Dark-Alex's 3.71m33 firmware with his 1.50 kernel update for the fat psp.............I want a slim now >.<!
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:17 am

I believe that the memory stick is recoverable as well. A full format on windows as well as a format on the psp seems to me like it would work. I haven't tested it though.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

lalilulelo

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:56 am

DarkPacMan77 wrote:I believe that the memory stick is recoverable as well. A full format on windows as well as a format on the psp seems to me like it would work. I haven't tested it though.

-DarkPacMan77-

well if you do plan on testing it out can you post it up in this tutorial that you made, if it doesnt bother you. cuz all i have is one gig and i dont wanna waste it if i cant recover it back to its intended purpose. thanks in advance if you plan on doing it and posting it up!
Image I'm rocking Dark-Alex's 3.71m33 firmware with his 1.50 kernel update for the fat psp.............I want a slim now >.<!
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:37 am

I have to FIND my psp to unbrick. I was successful in unbricking a friends psp but the battery and memory card were a spare that aren't used anyways. I have two 1gb sticks and two batteries that I will put on the line for PSPBrew, and of course, I will report back with full detail. I don't even have power at my house right now b/c we had a large storm. I'm at a friends for the night. Power should be restored Saturday... :( Hopefully I'll have something up before then though.

-DarkPacMan77-
Next

Return to PSP Tutorials