G4m3R

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 1

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:34 am

MMO on console?

Havok ZA wrote:MMO: “On a console? But I don’t belong!”

Age of Conan -Hyborian Adventures. That’s the name of the game that got Xbox360 gamers going back to the PC to get their MMORPG fix.

The game is destined for the Xbox360 as well but as we have heard from developers it’s only going to appear somewhere late in 2009. A year – that’s what it’s going to take to get the same experience on a console.

The PC carved out a niche in the industry where the Xbox360 can’t go presently in the same scale and size. We have Phantasy Star Online and Final Fantasy XI and some others (Two Worlds?) but they are not popular in terms of gamers as they do not offer what gamers want from a MMORPG. I do think that it is only a matter of time before our beloved console invades the space of the true WoW and Age of Conan type MMO.

This got me thinking as to what a true MMORPG will look like on a console.

With the likes of Xbox Live we have an instant population of gamers to inhabit our online world. Leveling up, going on quests and having clan battles Peer-to-peer, all with an affordable console and comparatively cheap Live subscription, it will be an easy sell to gamers. Add to this experience the seamless in-game chat and achievements we can arguably have a better experience on the Xbox360 than what it is on PC at the moment.

The one question that remains to be seen is if the consoles can keep up with the PC in terms of hard-drive space needed for updates and additional content.

This is not stopping the developers from aiming high though.
Here are some MMORPG’s games listed as in development for the Xbox360:

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Out on PC as stated earlier and destined for the Xbox360 in a years time according to the developer.

Huxley: Huxley is a bit of a shy one as we have very little info about it but we know that development is still in progress. It adds FPS gameplay with MMORPG experiences. It’s built upon the Unreal Engine 3 so we can be sure it will sport impressive visuals.
The future of killing is sport, according to the lore of Huxley: hundred-man battles take place between contenders of different teams for pride, profit, and glory.

Warhammer Online: This one is still unconfirmed for console but early versions of Warhammer Online were said to have been running on 360s, so the possibility is there.

APB (All Points Bulletin) would be a massively multiplayer online role-playing game set in "a highly volatile world filled with dramatic car chases, shootouts, busts, escapes, and arrests." Korean MMORPG publisher Webzen signed on to publish the game.

So these unusual suspects are gathered round. Now we, the gamers, will need to be the judge and jury when these hit the Xbox360.

got this from a newsletter... might be old
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:22 am

WoW on 360? That would be pwnage.
Any good popular mmorpg on a 360? Even better then pc. I mean really, with xbox live and headsets and such mmorpg's would be amazingly fun on 360.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

Reigo80

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:54 pm

I agree Ace, MMOs on 360 would be mad. Alot more people would be inclined to buy LIVE. Hell, i'd by myself a years subscription of LIVE if they released an awesome MMO for the 360.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:07 pm

Yeah! MMO on a console would be a godsend.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:53 pm

Well hopefully mmo designers will get smart soon. Maybe it will eventually come :) Personally I think it would be a very smart move on microsoft's/game dev's parts to make a mmo for the 360, I mean doing that would only leave them room for both to earn a ton of money.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

Reigo80

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Yeah. But the MMO's would HAVE to be able to be played with the PCers aswell. Like, it'd be sweet to be playing an MMO on 360, then meet up with my fiend (in the game) but he's playing the PC version. I don't think it'd be as big of a hit if they didn't do that.
<<

Salzgablah

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:28 pm

ever heard of eqoa from the ps2? i played that console mmo for ages. such a great game. Pretty much need a USB keyboard though.
edit: nvm, i guess you wouldnt since you would have your mic. oops
Phat 3.71->pandora 1.50->3.90 m33 (Sold on Ebay, suckers)
Slim 3.71->semi-brick->Nand Recovery->DCv3->3.71->3.80 m33-2->3.90 m33-3->4.01 m33-2
Want cintro for 4.01 m33? get cintro_390and Autostart_V4.zip, just follow the readme.

Return to Xbox 360